About Me, Rabecka Marie!

Friday, February 10, 2012

Back It Up, Back It Up


So, this week was pretty awesome! I read chapter 8 in Teachers Discovering Computers: Integrating Technology in a Connected World (7th edition) and learned a great deal of information. I explored the importance of computer security among many things and realized how important it is to backup data.  Backing up data helps us protect and keep copies of important files, information, and records.
Prior to this chapter, the only thing I knew how to back up was my car (just joking)! When I analyzed my backup habits, I realized that I didn't have any. At work, it is easier for me to backup data as we are provided with a shared drive that is supposed to safely store all of our data files. In case of damage or disaster, these files are easily restored. However, at home I usually don’t back up my data. After reading on the importance of backing up data, I see that saving just isn’t enough!
So, I went on a quest to find solutions for backing up data. Off-site locations are a great option! Users can backup important data at another location, which is vital when we factor in disasters such as fires or floods. In surfing the web (I am getting good at this surfing thing), I came across online backup services. Carbonite, claims to be the easiest online backup software to use. Subscribers sign up for this service (a 15 day trial is provided, but a yearly fee is involved) and are able to automatically backup files online. Restored files can be reached at anywhere, anytime. IDrive, is yet another online backup service that offers a limited free account to users. Other backup options include USB Drives, CD's, and external hard drives.


With so many resources available, I think it is important to backup data! As educators and professionals, so much time is spent creating ideas, materials, lesson plans, products, etc. It would be ashamed for years of work to go to waste. With this in mind, I challenge you to back it up!

3 comments:

  1. i too must admit that i don't back up my data on my personal computer. I have a newer dell and apparently dell offers a back up system for about 1 year free for about 30gb, but I have yet to use it.

    After reading this week's chapter 8 and then your posting, I'm thinking a lot more about backing up my data on my computer. I have a lot of music, photos, videos, word doc that i would hate to loss. I don't know if I trust saving things to an online server. Anyone can probably hack into it. I'm thinking to get an external hard drive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had an experience with carbonite, and it made my computer run so extremely slow that I had to uninstall it from my system. After my laptop crashed, and I lost all of my son's baby pictures, I went out and bought an ebook/external hard drive. It is small and I can leave it connected or connect it once a week. I also have flash drives for smaller portions of things I want extra copies of. Thanks for the reminder! Backing up data should be routine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do back up my docs and photos, now. I had an incident when my computer gave me the blue screen of death and I lost everything. I bought a portable 100 gig storage and use it every week. There are many back up storage solutions.

    I am a bit concerned with sending my data to an offsite provider rather than my own drive. I am afraid someone will hack their site.

    Thank you for a thought provoking blog.

    Scott Foster
    EME 5050

    ReplyDelete