About Me, Rabecka Marie!

Friday, March 2, 2012

Is There a Place for Video Games in the Classroom?

So, this week I got into a debate at work with one of my co-workers (I promise I didn’t start it) about whether video games had a place in the classroom. Her stance was no and mines was the opposite. She simply didn’t see any educational value. Of course, I mentioned that today’s kids are game crazy and that (in my opinion) they might be more engaged to a topic or lesson if some gaming was involved. She kind of saw my point of view, but was still sticking to her guns. She felt, adding video games was a waste of time and too much of a distractor. So, I had to pull out the big guns. I talked about an idea I had to implement the computer game, Rollercoaster Tycoon, into the classroom.

Rollercoasters, are you kidding? No, I’m really not J Rollercoaster Tycoon is a game that allows players to design, build, and operate their own theme parks. I have played it a hundred times (what addiction lol). Players start with beginner level parks and progress to more advanced parks. In order to progress, players must meet certain park objectives. Objectives vary and can include building 10 rollercoasters by a certain deadline or raising park revenue while keeping park ratings above a certain level. Players can also design their own parks and rides from scratch (depending on which version you play). Click Here to see a YouTube Video!

How does this tie into learning? Well, I think this game fosters creativity and critical thinking. For example, players must decide what type of rides they can buy that will fit into their budget.  Or, when building rollercoasters, players must carefully construct the rides and pay attention to force and velocity among many other things. Essentially, I could see this game being used in business, physics, engineering, and even math courses. Perhaps, the instructor could have students team up and build a park or rollercoaster, then present their experiences. Just an idea!

Overall, I think video games can be implemented into the classroom. However, the games should be compatible with the learning environment, course topic/lesson, and learners. Not every game is right. Me and my co-worker pretty much agreed to disagree. So, I am thirsty for your thoughts! Do you think video games can be implemented into classroom?



2 comments:

  1. Hi Rabecka,

    I hadn't heard of that game until you highlighted it here, but I agree with you that there is a place for video games in the classroom. If you attach the idea of a game to any concept you peek kid's interests and open their minds to learning.

    After watching part of that You Tube video I can see what you mean about the educational benefits as well. Not only do they get to think about design and layout, they have to budget and think about profit margins as they spend to add any feature that they want. This is real world learning and problem solving for today's world and market in my opinion.

    I think a lot of ideas with technology in education are going to be met with some resistances because it means change. We'll have to change our mindsets and realize that the world has changed and will continue to do so. The more technology integrates, the more people will be accepting of ideas like yours. It's like people will need to see it work first before they are ready to jump on board.

    Great post and reflections! I'm glad that you shared them. =)

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do strongly agree with you that there is a place for video games in the classroom. Especially in these days and ages. Today students are more keen to technology and they tend to gravitate to things that they can relate to such as the computer, electronics, and modern day gadgets. these item and concepts( virtual school video games, etc) will not be a distraction as long as these items are being used for educational purposes and the teacher is able to keep the students on task.

    I believe one of the most important thing for educators to ensure is that we are reaching out to our students the best way we can and I strongly belief that today's students are wanting less tradition (hardcover books, printed worksheets, chalk board, etc)instruction methods or support and more innovative instructional and support methods ( ipads, ebooks, internet, smartboards, video games, etc)

    ReplyDelete